What to make if you want to give healthy snacks for kids?
When your kids feel hungry, you may want to make a few healthy homemade snacks for them. Fill their little stomachs with the nutritional and colorful recipes including baked sweet potato fries, chicken sausage rolls, cheesy carrot crackers, orange cranberry muffins, and baked avocado fries. Let’s try!
1. Baked Sweet Potato Fries
The sweet potato fries are soft and yummy for your kids.
- Sweet potatoes – 2 pounds
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Chili powder – 1.5 teaspoons
- Kosher salt – 1.5 teaspoons
- Firstly, preheat an oven to 425 °F. Then, cut these sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and put them flat side on a cutting board.
- Next, cut these potato halves into wedges (1-inch width).
- Next, combine the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Then, place these potato wedges on a roasting pan.
- Now, brush the oil mixture on them. Lay the potatoes side down on this pan and put it in the oven.
- Now, cook potatoes until soft, turning once, about 20 to 25 minutes. Then, remove this pan from this oven and season with the remaining salt.
- Finally, let these potato wedges cool down and serve warm.
2. Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Chicken tenderloins (chopped) – 500 grams
- Wholemeal bread (torn) – 2 slices
- Brown onion (chopped) – 1
- Garlic clove (chopped) – 1
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoons
- Chopped continental parsley – 1/4 cup
- Chopped chives – 2 tablespoons
- Zucchini (grated) – 120 grams
- Lemon juice – 2 teaspoons
- Grated lemon rind – 1/2 tablespoon
- Frozen low-fat puff pastry (thawed, halved) – 3 sheets
- Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Egg (whisked) – 1
- Reduced-fat plain yogurt – 200 grams
- Chopped continental parsley – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped mint – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped chives – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic clove (peeled) – 1
- To prepare the dipping sauce, add all the above ingredients in a clean food processor and process them.
- Now, heat the olive oil in a pan over the low heat. Cook garlic and onion, covered, stirring frequently, until soft or for about 10 minutes. Cool it down.
- Then, cut the bread into crumbs and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Process the chicken to form a minced consistency.
- Add the chicken, herbs, the onion mixture, zucchini, rind, and lemon juice to the bread crumbs. Season and mix them to combine.
- Now, preheat an oven to 220 °C and place 1/6 the chicken mixture along the center of each pastry piece.
- Then, brush these edges with clean water and fold over filling; remember to press to seal.
- After that, turn them over, seam-side down and brush them with egg. Top with the sesame seeds. Slice each into 6 pieces.
- Finally, place on the lined trays and bake until cooked or for about 25 minutes. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
3. Cheesy Carrot Crackers
As you know, the vitamin A in carrot is not only good for your eyesight but also helps to grow taller. Therefore, these carrot crackers are great for your kids.
- Packed carrot (grated) – 1.5 cups
- Clean water – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese – 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Firstly, preheat an oven to 350 °F.
- Then, mix the grated carrot with clean water in a clean microwave-safe bowl and then cover and cook it on high for about 3 minutes.
- Next, drain the carrots and squeeze the excess liquid with a clean cloth.
- Now, put the carrots, eggs, and cheese in a clean food processor and pulse them until blended well.
- After that, add the flour to it (1/4 cup at one time), pulsing in between, until you get a dough consistency.
- Then, lightly flour the work surface and roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick; cut into desired shapes.
- Now, put them on a cookie sheet that is covered with a clean silicone baking mat or with parchment paper. Sprinkle with coarsely sea salt (optional).
- After that, bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy and brown on the edges.
- Finally, store the leftovers in a clean airtight container.
4. Orange Cranberry Muffins
This is one of the healthy and yummy homemade recipes to make a breakfast or snack for your kids because these muffins are loaded with fruits and fruit juice friendly to them.
- Navel orange (cut into 8 pieces) – 1
- Orange juice – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/4 cup
- Egg – 1
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dried cranberries (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cooking spray
- At first, preheat an oven to 375 °F. Then, coat a muffin tin (12 cups) with cooking spray.
- Next, put the orange juice, orange wedges, egg and vegetable oil into a blender to blend them until smooth.
- Now, whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a clean bowl; whisk to incorporate.
- Then, form a small well in the middle surface of the dry ingredients & pour this orange mixture into it; stir to create a thick batter. Now, stir in the cranberries.
- After that, divide this mixture among these muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake until these muffins are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Finally, let them cool on a rack & serve warm or toasted.
5. Raspberry Spelt muffins
- Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
- White spelt flour – 2 cups
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Raw sugar – 2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 1/3 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Frozen raspberries – 2/3 cup
- Small ripe pear (cored, grated) – 1
- Firstly, preheat an oven to 180 °C. Line a 12-hole 1/3 cup (80 ml) capacity muffin tin with the paper cases.
- Now, sift the flour, ground cinnamon, and baking powder into a large bowl and add the sugar and coconut to it, stir them to combine.
- Whisk the eggs, milk vanilla, and vegetable oil well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir them until just combined. After that, stir through the raspberries and pear.
- Next, divide the mixture between your prepared muffin holes. Now, sprinkle the tops with extra raw sugar.
- Finally, bake in the preheated oven until golden brown or for about 20 or 25 minutes.
6. Baked Avocado Fries
- Avocados (cut 1/2- inch thick slices) – 2
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Panko bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Lemon pepper seasoning – 1/2 teaspoon
- Low-fat Ranch dip – 2 tablespoons
- Firstly, preheat an oven to 425 °F.
- Then, combine the lemon and lime juice together in a small bowl. Mix the bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper in a separate bowl.
- Now, dip the avocados into the juice, season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper, and then press into bread crumbs.
- After that, spray the cooking spray on the baking sheet, lay the avocados single layer and then bake until golden brown or for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, served with low-fat Ranch dip.
Here are a few of healthy snack recipes for kids that you should try right now!
This guest post is by Hang Pham, a blogger with over 10 years of experience on searching the effective remedies for skin care and health problems.