Why you should check your car before you plan a road trip with your kids?
“Expect the unexpected” because if anything can go wrong it will. People may call you a pessimist but it pays to be careful, very careful, especially when you are planning a road trip with your kids in your family car. Your happiness (and your lives) depends on the car. Imagine a scenario when you are driving along a freeway with your kids in a cool air conditioned car on a hot blustery day and the car, instead of rolling along smoothly, comes to a halt and you get out swearing and cursing to find out what the problem is. Do not let it happen to you.
Plan ahead to give the car a through check up at a car service
Do you feel like you could do it on your own and give your car a thorough check up once over? Do not. Take it to a certified, competent, expert car service you trust absolutely to ensure your car is in as near perfect condition it can be as is possible given its age. If it is new get it checked nonetheless. Your expert car mechanic will know what exactly to do. However, one can never be too careful so you might as well give him a written check list of things you want checked in your car and hold him responsible if the car breaks down.
Things you must make sure of
- Tires: Ensure tread depth is 1.6mm. If the police stop and check and find it is less you could be in for a fine. It is also safer since tread depth translates to better grip and safe driving. Check spare tire and if you do not have one, get it. Get two for that matter.
- Engine Oil: Check level and condition. It is worth replacing oil for a better and smoother drive.
- Windscreen washer bottle: Check that it is full and keep a spare in the boot.
- Lights: Check their functioning. Keep spare bulbs handy if your headlight is the type where you can install a replacement bulb. You could get additional LED lights installed on the top, just in case.
- Check under the hood: Battery clips, condition of battery, level of fluid, hose clips, condition of hoses and rubber parts. Check under the car too for tell-tale signs of drips. Replace all hoses that are cracked or leaky.
- Boot: Remove all those items that you were going to throw away anyway.
- Insurance: Check you are fully insured. Put together all your documents to carry along…just in case
Take your car to your trusted car service center and tell them you want a through check and service as you are planning to go for a long drive in the near future They will know what to do. Sensible and responsible car service technicians inspect batteries, brake pads, hydraulics, fluid lines, power lines, rubber hoses, tires, differentials, chassis and suspension. If anything needs replacement, they will do it so you can have a carefree drive across the wild and wooly west.
Mechanics are not gods and so you can be ready to experience some problems in your cars. Once you get the car back from the car service, take it out for a spin and check out everything. If they have missed something, you have time to get it fixed. You owe it to your children and family in order to ensure a safe and comfortable experience. So make sure that you follow the above mentioned points if you want to experience a comfortable drive.