When you are going on a holiday, the primary concern for everyone is the security of their home and the valuables in it when they are away.
Burglars mostly target an unoccupied house as it is always an easy target. Getting a locksmith to install the best quality deadlocks on every door may not be enough. When you are away from home for a long time, it gives the burglars ample time to figure out a way to break open the locks. Locksmiths help you out when you lose keys by breaking open your locks and if locksmiths can do it, so can burglars. That is why one needs to take many more precautions than just getting quality locks.
The best people to ask for advice in this matter are locksmiths. As they have replaced many broken locks, they also know how burglars work. A locksmith is the second person on the site of burglary after the police as lock replacement is the first requirement in the burglary after measures. So as suggested by locksmiths, one should consider the following home security holiday checklist:
- Arrange with your local police department to periodically cruise by your house to keep a lookout of any suspicious activities when you’re out of town.
- Install exterior sensor lightings around the home entrance.
- Contact the local post office to hold your mails for the period of time you are going to be away from home.
- Cancel all the regular deliveries like newspapers and groceries.
- Ask a friend to draw in the curtains daily if possible in order to create an illusion that the house is occupied.
- Lock away items like ladders, garden furniture, or anything that can be used to aid access to your house.
- Do not leave an answering machine message indicating that you are away.
- If you can invest a little more, get automatic light timers. You can find these devices for less than twenty dollars at your local hardware store. Install one in the kitchen, one in the living room and one in each of your bedrooms and set them to turn on the lights at the fall of dusk and go out at different times.
- Tell your trusted friends and neighbours to keep a look for lurking people around your home. If possible, ask them to move your car a little occasionally so that it appears as though you are home.
- Conceal all your valuables like laptops, electronics and jewellery in a way that they are not easy to spot.
- Get a locksmith to check all the locks to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Engrave your valuables with your driving licence or your name. Engraved articles are difficult to sell as they can easily be differentiated from the rest and that can help the local officials to track down your valuables.
- Make sure you have keyed window locks and deadlock all the windows as there is a high probability of break-in through the windows. Hide the keys somewhere safe. Tell your trusted where the keys are hidden incase they need to access it.
- Roller shutter can also be a great feature for home safety as it is a lot more sturdier than conventional doors.
- Hang old clothes on the washing line to make your home look occupied.
- Update the burglar alarm and inform the alarm company that you’ll be out of town.
- Get smart home security installed in your homes by qualified locksmiths.
- Get a home security assessment by an expert locksmith to ensure your home has high level security.
Follow these points and you and your family can enjoy the peaceful holiday time with no worries.
Mary Mathis, a knowledgeable and qualified blogger. She adores to write blog on topics related to home improvement, money saving tips, care taking tips of children and many more.